Wednesday 17 April 2013

Daily wear: How to wear a sweatshirt

Hi guys,
Like most trends, the rise of the humble sweatshirt took a while to grow on me. It seemed too casual, too understated, too damn young! But having bought one I've done a 360 on the sweatshirt trend, and will definitely be giving it a go this spring. Here's how I made it work for me:
 photo sweatshirt4_zpscaef7294.jpg  photo sweater3_zps2a5bb798.jpg  photo sweatshirt2_zpsc12065fe.jpg  photo sweatshirt5_zps6e8a5ae9.jpg  photo sweatshirt1_zps1b8cbd6e.jpg Sweatshirt- Gap. Necklace- Warehouse. Jeans- Topshop. Shoes- Jeffrey Campbell c/o Sarenza. Handbag- River Island.

- Add a chunky necklace. I'm a huge fan of oversized necklaces anyway, but they're almost essential partners to the sweatshirt. They stop it looking too casual and give a grown up, fashion-forward feel.

- Keep everything else streamlined- you need to balance the volume of the sweat. I've seen several other bloggers really make theirs look amazing with pencil skirts and even sequinned minis. But for my lifestyle, a fitted vest and skinny boyfriend jeans were the order of the day.

- If you're sweat is plain, add a little interest somewhere. I tried this outfit with my black boots and gold pumps first. But the best fit was when I added some pattern via my feet: these slipper shoes from Jeffrey Campbell.(Available here with 30% off)  Heels would have looked even better, but I can't really go to little mans messy play class in heels!

This neon orange sweatshirt was a bargain from the Gap half price sale (I paid just £14.99 for it) and their sale is still on instore and online now if you want to pick up one of your own. I chose this one because it nods to two trends at once- neon and sweats- with mininal effort. But I'm actually thinking of going back for the grey and lilac ones too- outfits for this awkward seasonal transition period, done!

Do you own a sweatshirt? And how do you style yours?

Love Tor x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd been eyeing up the lilac one but didn't know how I could make it "me" but after seeing this I think I'll take the plunge and buy it! Love the shoes too, lusted after the pink ones for ages <3