Saturday 20 February 2010

LFW AW10: Gemma Slack presentation

When I got to the Gemma Slack presentation the presentation room was tiny and crammed with people wanting to see the short film that launched at around the time I arrived. I couldn't seem much of the 3 minute short (it's one of the perils of being tiny in a room full of people wearing 6 inch heels) but it was very loud and artsy. It was the clothes I came for, and although the layout of the room wasn't impressive (half of the outfits were hidden behind the film screen and couldn't be seen at all!) I was impressed with the collection.
Photobucket
I loved this studded mohair jumper dress. The shape of it is fierce. I also immediately thought "this is ripe for blogger diy" - I wonder how long until we see someone trying to create this at home?
Photobucket
Photobucket
It was a very "fetishist" collection which made me think of a German sex club (not that i've ever been to one!) There was a lot of leather and mesh. Everything was in black and more than the fabric or colours, what was most impressive about the collection for me was the strong shapes.
Photobucket

On the press release Slack cites the themes and images of Bram Stoker's Dracula as a starting point for the collection. She also talks of the eroticism created by the contrast of the chiffon and the leather. This really makes sense to me; the collection oozes sex.

What do you think? Does this inspire you to don a tight leather skirt and hit the town?

Love Tor xx
Photobucket
Style Compare has over 2,500 coats by more than 150 labels.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an interesting one, it's really not my 'thing' and yet I do rather like it. I think I find it difficult to tell what I think of them on mannequins, I'd really rather see the clothes on models especially the ones that are a bit 'shapeless', or just a top with no bottom to it! I know the recession and all means there are more presentations and less fashion shows, but it still makes it hard for me to tell what they'd be like.

Katy said...

I love Bram Stoker's Dracula, the movie, and I'm reading the book right now, which I also love! I like this collection, but I don't love it; in part because although black and fetish-y may be her particular cup of tea, and she'll probably stick with it long after the trend is gone, the trend certainly is on its way out and this feels rather tired. That said, I liked the studded sweater and all the mesh! I like mesh.